Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Scorpio Races



The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Lima: Hardcopy
Antz: Audiobook

Lima: Ok. Let me actually start by asking how you liked this book. 

Antz: I did like the book! Did you not like the book? It was a little slower than the introduction promised me it would be, but I enjoyed it. I felt that it took its time to develop the characters. And the voice of Sean in the audiobook was...perfect. I had an issue with the voice of Puck, but I got over it after a while. Did you not like it? 

Lima: I was SO bored by this book, no matter how hard I tried to like it. I was honestly sitting there like, how does one make DOG EATING HORSES boring. I’m not sure...but she managed. There was also so much...not quite sorrow but the overall tone of the book was kind of a downer. I’m not against downers, however, this one just bored me so much that by the time I was finished, I didn’t even care that there was a “downer” tone. Side note, I expect the voice of Sean to be deep and mysterious and just beautiful lol. 

Antz: hahaha It was!!!! It was dark and mysterious and I just wanted to hug him the WHOLE time...and maybe do other things. But that made me feel like a perv cause he is younger than me. I see how you could have been bored though, I felt the same at the beginning….but little by little it won me over. 

Lima: Honestly, it is quite possible I was this bored BECAUSE I read it. On paper, this was almost as rough for me to get through as some of the stuff we read in grad school. The denseness...the DENSENESS. 

Antz: See but that’s part of what I liked. YA books have become so… NOT dense… At all. Like, I can predict the plot in about 2 chapters. What I like about this one is that it was dense enough to actually develop the scenery and the world and the characters. There was no “OH! I see you once in my life and I am head over heels in love for you” thing… Lol 

Lima: I get that. And I will be the first to say that this author has some writing chops for suresies. A lot of it was beautiful and the language is something I would have expected from not YA. The images, the setting, there were some lines just depicting the night that were just perfect. But I also had issues with the “world” as you mentioned as for the life of me, I could not place this in my head. There are horse races and everyone is kind of poor...but cars are a thing, they mention America, it is obviously not some fantasy land where this stuff doesn’t exist. The fact I couldn’t place it after nearly 60 pages in annoyed me. 

Antz: hahaha just cause it’s a fantasy story doesn’t mean it has to happen in another world. I pictured it as a little island off the coast of England, which I think is where the author meant for it to be. She is English, I think. But I love stories that are fantasies but are still rooted in places that are somewhat real. Like City of Bones! It’s all fantasy, but it’s in well known spaces.

Lima: I didn’t feel like enough of that was established. Like I open up and boom, there are these crazy, deathly, races. But there is also normal stuff. Even just a line of, “there was a time when the horses didn’t rise out of the sea but I don’t remember that world.” I do want to read more by this author...but something less dense and maybe set a bit better. Also, Sean is a great feminist! Lol 

Antz: hahahaha he is! He is the type of male lead I looooove. Dark and brooding, but empowering and totally sexy in a “fuck you, world” type of way. And you should! I’m addicted to her Raven Cycle series. It is a lot less dense, but still has some beautiful writing in it.

Lima: Lol dude...do you two need a moment... 

Antz: Yes please. *Goes off to re-read parts of it* hahahahaha jk, he’s a minor….I would get in trouble. Lol 

Lima: BY MY BLOOD DANGIT.

Antz: BY MY BLOOD!

Lima: Overall, the written version didn’t quite do it for me. I’m giving it a 2.5.

Antz: I liked the audio version, although I felt like the female voice made Puck seem SO MUCH YOUNGER than she was...it confused me at times. I give it a 3.5/5



Tl;dr: The audiobook is better. Sean is sexy. BY OUR BLOOD!

#Books #bookblog #bookreview #ScorpioRaces
#TwogirlsManyBooks #Reading #Readmore #Audiobooks #bookworms


No comments:

Post a Comment